Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A golden eyelet Hawthorn


Hello everyone!

I am still catching up on me-made garments I made for the summer. Today will be a little bit more classic.

In May, we attended the phD defence of Mister’s sister. This took place in a beautiful building from the university of Utrecht, NL. I don’t know how these events are organised in other countries, but this is quite prestigious here and you have to dress up a little.



I wanted to make a nice dress with a classic style. I already had the fabric in my stash: a beautiful golden cotton eyelet and I just needed to pick the pattern. I went back and forth between different ideas but I ended up wanting a fitted bust with short sleeves, and a flared skirt. In the end, I decided to use Colette’s Hawthorn. I liked the simple silhouette and the classic details (a flat collar, the button-up front).

 

I cut a size 18 and graded up to a virtual 20 from the waist down. For more fitted skirts, I would grade up to 22 at the hips but this was not necessary with this semi-circle shape. I also added a little bit of width around the biceps.

 


I am very happy with the end result! The buttons add a subtle effect that is very flattering. I chose to wear it with a thin contrasting belt. For some reason, the dress looks a little bit too plain without that belt.
 
 

Due to the nature of the fabric (eyelet), I had to underline most pattern pieces with a golden rayon. For the top, I lined the front and back pattern pieces, simply copying the shape of the fashion fabric. For the skirt, I did not have enough lining for a semi-circle, so I did a dirndl skirt that I attached at the waist.

 

The day of the defence was beautiful and we walked around in Utrecht. I felt very special. I must admit that high heels on old fashioned European streets is not the comfiest kind of walking, but sometimes, you just have to get on with it…



We took the pictures in the little patio hidden in the old faculty building where the reception took place. It has beautiful open corridors all around and has an old church feeling to it. 



All in all, I am very pleased with the Hawthorn. I will definitely make it again, after my belly stops growing and (hopefully) shrinking. I would like to try a nice winter version, with longer sleeves and contrasting buttons.









I find it very funny to see these photos taken in June because my boday already changed quite a bit and this dress absolutely does not work with the bump. I am really looking forward to wearing it again because it made me feel so ladylike!

6 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful! I love this dress: it's classic, classy and the fabric is perfect. Also amazing photos and location!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny!
      Utrecht is a beautiful town, with canals everywhere, I actually almost like it more than Amsterdam or Gent (in Belgium).

      Delete
  2. this is so beautiful! gold is becoming my neutral. it's classy, soft and sparkly all at once. beautiful pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Fabulous! The Hawthorne is still on my want-list, seeing you in it made it go to the top of that list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really try it! It also super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very flattering coloured fabric on you, eyelet fabric always makes for a lovely dress ... J

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails