Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A simple dress

Me-Made-March made me realize the hand-made pieces I am missing in my wardrobe: simple dress, simple skirts, tops, and pants. I have done 2 simple dresses , a simple skirt and a LOT of pants muslins so far...

The simple dress has been done within a few hours. I have used two pieces of a Vogue wardrobe pattern V8679: the top and the skirt. I had already used it to make the jacket, and I was pretty happy with it. I really liked the gathered neckline and the shape of the skirt.




I did three transformations:

- upgrade the pattern pieces (B & D)
- shorten the skirt
- only cut the top to the waist

I have used a heavy double knit and I went to buy it on the market here. Twice a week, they have a few fabric stands in the middle of the flowers, fruits, meats, cheeses and other items. I always love looking at their fabrics. They are sometimes good, sometimes not. This time, I had a discussion with the man that worked one of the fabric stand. He told me to get a nice cotton knit and showed the differences (I kinda knew it, but I like to listen to passionate people). I was a little annoyed at the price (14 euros a meter, or +-20 $). And him too actually. With the higher cotton costs, he had to stop putting his cottons at 10 euros/meter. And he is earning less...

Back to the dress. It was very straightforward. And it took only one hour once the fabric pieces were cut. I am really happy with the result. I really really love the neckline. It feels so flattering and so comfy in the same time. I am really happy I chose that thicker cotton jersey too. I have french seamed almost all of it, and it feels like it is going to last forever!

Here are the result pictures, including two that you have already seen in Me-Made-March posts:







Now, it is time to finally go out to meet up with my Mister to take the MMM picture. I have been loving this, because every end of day eels like a date... Ok, I might be too cheesy...

Do you also like to talk to the passionate people that sell fabric?
What is your opinion about the price (14 Euros or 20$ for a meter of thick 100% double knit/jersey)?
What pieces are missing from your MMM wardrobe?

5 comments:

  1. I really, really like that dress! It's a great color and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress, Laurwyn! And so speedy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress! It looks good on you! As for my wardrobe... I only have some cute summer skirts that my friend Antwa made me last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great on you! And I love the color! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails